Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Where Are You From?

It would seem a rather benign question, "Where are you from?". Generally what we hear is, give a location of origin. But, for some of us, like myself, it is an essential question. One that has multiple meanings.

If you're four, well it's a very straight forward,"Where do you come from?" the answer is quite simple, "My Mom."

"Ha ha, no. Where do you live?"

"My house." an answer expressed with little hesitation, with no fluctuation in the voice or in ones reaction. It is, what it is. Duh. Can you just see the bubble over their heads? "Stupid grown-up".

As we get older, the question can pose some issues for some people. If they were born here in the U.S. and they appear to be of ethnic decent other then WASP, it can conjure feelings of resentment. How dare you think I'm from outside the U.S. borders!

For some of us it is an extreme sense of pride, to relay to someone where our origins originate. My parents are a perfect example. My mother has origins that go back to England and have a direct bloodline to some random Smith family. For most of us this would be highly insignificant. In Utah, it's akin to having a bloodline that can be traced to the Mayflower. In some circles, you aren't worth a note, let alone a nod or acknowledgement if your bloodline can't be traced to the Mayflower.

My Dad's side can be traced to hardy pioneer stock with associations that ran with the Danites. Again, in Utah, could be intriguing, could be scandalous. Anyway you look at it, it's fascinating. His youth was spent in Idaho where his father was a dirt farmer. He grew potatoes. You can still hear the pride in his stories, especially when you take my Dad back to Idaho. His home. His ground. His origins.



Anyway that I look at I see origins. You come from somewhere and where you come from has much to do with who you are. What you identify with and even your personality. Origins give you a starting place. Somewhere to stand. A ground to begin with. Perhaps, the mysterious aspects of my origins are what fascinate me about my adopted origins. In any sense I find it worth reading and studying. My origins? Idahoan Mormons. British Mormon immigrants. No matter which direction you point yourself, you find a Mormon. Hence, I am fascinated with Mormons. Mormon culture, Mormon society, Mormon history, Mormon origins.

I read a lot about Mormons. The good, the bad and the ugly. My family finds me weird, my friends, insane and the world at large? Well, some of our insanity is best kept within certain circles. No need to feed the neighborly gossip. But it is my origins. And, for better or worse it is part of me. Who I am, how I relate to the world, how I perceive the world. I don't believe anyone who tells me that their religion, especially Mormonism, doesn't affect them in the same way, to some degree.

I'm oft questioned about my voracious consumption of Mormon "reading". I've ceased to try and explain. We'll just chalk it up to insanity. And a lack of entertainment. I also don't try and discuss it with most people. They don't really care. They find it a waste of time. I find that, unfortunate. We put more research into a refrigerator than we put into a religion that we subscribe to. One keeps our food, the other governs our lives. Hmmmmm. You'll question, at length, the salesman at the appliance store. Doubt him, argue with him, even try to prove him wrong. But your religion? Uh uh! Hell no, no way. Not nobody, not no how!

Which brings us to the second aspect of religion that I find fascinating. The unbridled willingness to just accept it. A psychological phenomenon that is one of the best parts of people. We never question the impact it has on us and our behavior. We want to know what influence the seven year old that sits next to our kid in school has, but never think twice about the information that we are spoon fed from birth. I have my theories as to why this is. Blondie put it best, you don't question it, talk about it or confront it, because? It hurts.....Yes it does. And the case of human behavior, better to avoid what hurts. Right?

In any case, I'll keep reading. And I'll keep looking for someone to share it with. Although, I don't think I'll ever find someone to listen.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sabrina said...

I hope I don't offend but I'm sure I will but don't mean to (yes I know BUT is in there and you hate that; there isn't any other way to say it and don't look at this as saying my religion is better than yours, these are merely my beliefs). I think that it is a big assumption to make that people don't question their own religion. I think religion is something very personal to people and it isn't something you need to question out in the open (not to be confused with researching it). I know if I didn't believe it I wouldn't be paying 10% of my wages to it, keeping the promises I made to it, spending my time with it and on and on. Just because it was the religion of my parents and ancestors doesn't mean I didn't question it, I definetly wouldn't be spending so much time and effort for something I didn't believe in. I've had several friends who no longer attend their parents' affiliated church but then they aren't looking into any other churches. Perhaps they did question it and found it wasn't for them or perhaps not being forced to go they decided not to. I know for me after I got out of high school you have to know where you stand in that religion because you are not spoon fed anymore at church and you are there because you want to be and because you have found out for yourself. Another fact I learned while on maternity leave -the fastest growing religion is that of no religion (hope that makes sense).

January 17, 2008 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger You Had To Ask said...

OT, but what exactly is a Mormon Unitarian? Are you going to dye your hair purple or what?

January 17, 2008 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger Molly Sue said...

Wow, Bean, got something to say? You didn't offend, by the way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And never, in all the time I have known you, have you ever tried to encroach on what I believe. We have a mutual respect for each other and what each of us beleives. I don't discount that at all. I wouldn't put you in a catatgory of individuals that hadn't questioned, mainly because I have never encountered a time when you felt the need to "prove" what you believe or "justify" it.

I never have a need to justify what I believe or why I believe it, I just like Mormon history.

And I do find it intriguing that the fastest growing religion is that of no religion. It does make sense to me. But I also define religion and religious belief or philosophy, differently. Religion is organized with a dogma. Religious belief or philosophy is what you believe. I see them in different catagories.

P.S. Thanks for commenting!!!

January 17, 2008 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger Molly Sue said...

Flying Monkey...ha ha, no I won't be dying my hair purple. I was thinking more along the lines of a tattoo....

What is a Mormon Unitarian? I don't know.... ;) What is a Mormon Catholic?

January 17, 2008 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger Sabrina said...

Well there are C&E Catholics so maybe a Mormon Catholic is one who goes to church on Christmas, Easter and Pioneer Day.

January 17, 2008 at 3:29 PM  
Blogger Molly Sue said...

Pioneer Day!!! Bawhahahahahaha!!

January 17, 2008 at 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home