Saturday, July 25, 2009

Life Decisions

I don't recall ever making a decision to grow up and get married. It was never a question. It is/was just what little girls do/did. I never contemplated an alternative. I don't think most of us do. I was more paniked at 18 that no one would ever date me, let alone marry me.

Being that I never considered other options, it stands to reason that my thought process included the whole package. Husband, 1.8 kids, house with picket fence and of course, dog. So, what is the alternative? Especially in such a religiously saturated culture such as this one.

My guess, is that most of us never THINK about it. Unless of course, we want for the cultural opposite. In which case we probably spend most of our lives hiding what we want. I know a lot of people like this. The thought I'm entertaining isn't the one you think.

One weekend with a great date could be the momentary decision you make that alters or determines the rest of your life. Once in that position, how many of us make the grown-up decisions that we should make, versus the selfish decisions that most of us make. Not as many as we hope. And being the right religious persuasion doesn't make you immune or positioned to make a better decision or a more elevated one.

You make your bed. You lie in it. Against the wishes of those around you. What they wish is not what you know for yourself. Their wishes be damned. Right?

Follow your dreams. Fullfill your passion. It's the American mantra. And with his OCD, focus to follow that mantra was simple. He did just that. Small detour along the way, but it proved to be less than significant. The result was eye candy for a wife and baby he adored. His career success never faltered so being billed for a lifetime of marriage seemed a small potatos. How hard could it be to fake for life? After nine years, harder than he thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home