Monday, January 28, 2008

Judgement

Are you judgmental? Think about it. Are you a moralist? Think hard.

Moralist. Jungemental. Two words that often incur negative connotations. Judgemental people are shallow. Narrow minded. Self righteous. Yes, absolutely, right? Moralists? Oh those are the right wing Christian conservatives who want to legislate all the social morals that they believe we neglect. They're looking out for our salvation. For our own good. Right?

Do you smoke? Do you have any concerns about others who do? What do you think of someone driving on the freeway with a car full of kids and cigarette in their hand? A cell phone? Are you better than them? Do you have the twinge of righteous indignation because you DON'T smoke or talk on the cell phone while driving? Are you "offended" when you see someone light up a cigarette near you? Does this violate your "health" rights?

Do you exercise regularly? Why? Who told you? What do you really think when you see someone that you would deem "overweight?" Are you better than them? What do you think of them when the are at McDonald's in front of you?

Did you go to college? Did you get a degree? Does it make you smarter? More capable? More employable? Entitled to a better salary? Are you better than your neighbor, who has only his high school diploma? Are you better than them?

Are you religious? Is your activity in that religion, your belief, your faith required for your salvation? Is yours more intact than your non-religious neighbor? Is your religion superior to other religions? Are you better than them?

How do feel about abortion? Homosexuality? Birth control? Environmental issues? Evolution? Chances are on a survey, a questionnaire and certainly to another's face you would look at them and genuflect on the "morality" of each issue. Whether or not you felt that it was your duty, or even your right, to impose rules on those that would, according to you, cause harm to themselves or to others. Right? You would tell us that it isn't your place to pass judgement. It isn't fair to tell people what to do. It isn't fair to force them to do what you deem right, right?

But, what went through the recesses of your mind when you read those questions? What were you really saying, as opposed to what you told the public? Are you honest with us? Are you honest with yourself? My guess is, you don't want anyone to know. I know I don't. Sometimes, I'm am judgemental. Sometimes, I am a moralist. Guess I have a little work to do. We are becoming a nation of moralist. We are vilifying large numbers of people for what was considered a bad habit in the past. Smoking, obesity, any number of things. Bad for our health? Yes. But is it our DUTY to police each other? Hmmmm. I wonder.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sabrina said...

Yes I do believe I am better than everyone else because I don't have a cell phone. I'm right up there with Oprah and crap there was another actor I heard of recently that doesn't have a cell phone but can't remember. Oh, I guess that wasn't what you really were asking. Sorry go back to what you were doing.

January 29, 2008 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

While I certainly feel/think that I am a moral individual, I don’t believe that I’m a moral disciplinarian. Sometimes I feel that it is my duty to “inform” others of certain moral ideas (just to get their mind turning). However, I feel one can be nonjudgmental while exposing differing beliefs. If everyone were too afraid of being accused of a moralist and judgmentalist (if that’s even a word), than no one would speak up and that is what our first amendment is for. Nevertheless, we are all a little hypercritical at times-- it’s part of being human. It’s when we recognize our faults and improve on them that matters.

January 29, 2008 at 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home