Monday, April 14, 2008

I Don't Do THAT In Public

It was some months ago that a little secret of mine got out. In a renewal of exploring who I am, was, may still be, I returned to a former aspect of myself to indulge in something that I can't get enough of. Something that I love with great passion. Something that I am almost as passionate about as my Offspring and my kids. Each and everyone.

So, the cat escape the bag. I went back to taking voice lessons and found myself a coach. My Blondie gave me grief about not singing for him.

Me: I sing for you. I just don't do it in public.

Blondie: Yeah, 'cause you don't have any of these. (He gestures to his package)

Me: What these? (grabbing my lack of boobage) Yes, you're right.

Blondie: Yeah, you'd have to grow a pair of these to do it in public. (He again gestures to his package.)

Me: Hey! I resemble that!

What I did hear was, "I double dog dare ya!". Oh, Oh, I will not be yellow. (Well, most of the time, just ask Sparky.) So I reluctantly joined the choir at church. After a few practices I thought, hey, this isn't so bad. I can do this. Ha, ha, then we performed. Mmmm, four shots of Vodka and two performances later I white knuckled the pew to try and stop shaking.

In my funny little dream world, you know the one, where I still have all my "Jack" and I am a stunning stage performer, I "wow" everyone with my solo performances. In real life, I ignore the prospect of singing without people to hide me, in public.

Two weeks ago as we tittered and mingled between practice pieces at choir rehearsal I heard my name. And then, she said it again.

Prim and Proper: Would you sing the solo part on this piece?

Me: Stunned look. Blood rushing to my feet. Heart racing

Prim and Proper Partner: Ha, ha, she appears to be a deer in headlights.

Yes, yes, that would be an adequate description. Sing, you say? By myself? In a public performance?

Well, she just started playing and then it was my turn to sing and then the choir followed and then, I WAS ON THE PROGRAM?!?! I'll give a hint what I'm thinking. I believe my Sparky Jack introduced me to the term...WTF!!!!! How did I get myself into this? Did I say yes? I have to sing, in public, by myself!!!

Well, I'm comforted to know that none of you will be there. So, you won't see me squeak like a mouse and watch the congregation wince as I slaughter the music. Oh, and if you read this and even FATHOM of informing certain members of my immediate family, I will HURT you. (That means you Princess. And you Sally!!) I'll just let you hear what the song is SUPPOSED to sound like...

2 Comments:

Blogger Matilda said...

Oh baby...I'm coming...I need to watch the faces when the word "God" comes up!

Maybe I'll call Disney...see if I can get your exec to record it for me!

;)

April 15, 2008 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger Molly Sue said...

Ha ha! That exec has been beggin me to try this for YEARS!! And yes, unfortunatelty it will be recorded, by the church.

April 18, 2008 at 12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home