Monday, May 12, 2008

Wealth

Affluent, rich, well-off, wealthy. What semantics do you use? What is rich? Is rich a number, a location, your station, power position? It is, relative. Rich is, a feeling. It is a perception. And sometimes, that perception, is bigoted.

"People who are poor just need to get an education so they can improve their job status"

"People who are homeless just need to get a job"

"I hate rich people they are so out of touch, the world is struggling and they spend money like it's water. People in _ _ _ are starving."

"The affluent are unaffected by rising prices while the rest of us struggle"

"The wealthy have it so easy"

"I wish I was rich"

What is a reasonable line of wealth and who is responsible to get you there? Keep you there? Provide "it" for you? What are we, as a society, as humans, entitled to?
Does it change our perspective, our attitude, when we know an individual has wealth? What about when they don't? Will you like me more if I have wealth? Will you like me less? Can I trust you? Or do you just want to know me, be my friend, because I might be wealthy.

Why do we assume the wealthy have power? Why do we assume that they are anything? What is that we think that the wealthy can get for us? Can the wealthy get for us what we want? I wish I knew all the answers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home