Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Are You Christian?

This is an issue of late. Especially in my world. I am imbued in a culture, sometimes by choice, that is currently in the national spotlight. Good 'ol Boy, Mitt Romney, is soliciting the Republican party for the exclusive invitation to run on the Republican ticket in November for the position of Chief Executive. He's seems like a nice enough guy. I even agree with him on some political issues. Others, well, not so much. But then, I tend to disagree with most politicians when they could possibly try and legislate morality.

The U.S. is fascinated by this guy, although not because he is running for the highest office in the land. It's because he's Mormon. Why this is an issue, I struggle to understand. Kennedy was a Catholic and that was controversial, yeah, I know. And almost every president since Washington had some sort of religious conviction. So? Why do we care? What I am struggling to understand is, just that, why we care?

The evangelical right has it's panties in a twist because according to them, Mormons aren't Christian. Stephen A. Douglas accused Lincoln of having no religion, which contributed to his almost loosing the election. Kennedy was Catholic and somehow this would impact his leadership ability. Somewhere in our history we are under the distinct impression that the founding fathers were Christian and that their religious convictions are what spiritually led them in composing the The Constitution and The Bill of Rights. Well, no. The majority of them were not Christian. Spiritually led, perhaps. Led by a religious conviction, sure. But only to make sure that the the Constitution was not written in a "majority favor". They wanted to avoid any religious majority, any heavy leanings one way or the other. They didn't want to be like England.

So, being that one's religious convictions lead them to make decisions in one manor or another, it would seem logical that we would care about one's religion. But whether or not they are Christian? Please. So, again I ask, why do YOU care? For most it seems to come down to semantics. How we, you, I, define what is Christianity. Complicated, perhaps. Wavering vastly on the definitive chart, you bet. And the semantics may not seem all important if we can find commonalities in our differing definitions, except that it may lead us to weaken the integrity of history.

Yet, I still wonder. Although we can argue the day long what the precise definition of Christian is, whether or not the Mormon religion fits the definition and so on, I still don't see how this impacts the ability of one man to hold the office of the President. I also have yet to have someone answer my question. I know why I care or don't care. It impacts the universe in precisely no way. Your opinion, would do the same, impact nothing. But, we still want to know and understand, why do YOU care. Not WHY do you care,(as in why the hell do you care about gay marriage) why do YOU care? (as in what makes it important for you personally) And yes, damn it, there is a difference! Just as there is a difference in "The Panda eats shoots and leaves" and "The Panda eats, shoots and leaves". The comma makes all the difference!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

The thing is, I define "Christian" as ANYONE who believes in Christ. But I don't support anyone just because they say they are christian. What I REALLY care about is do we have similar values? The core values of integrity, honesty and the like are what matter. If someone doesn't have the same opinion as me, that's fine. What earns my respect is if they have integrity and stay constant to what they believe in. So, what about catholics, (which would be chritian as well...right?) and Jews, which some say are not christian because they don't believe in christ exactly the same way, but many still have the same values and live by similar standards as those that I care about. The issue is not are you, or are you not "CHRISTIAN", but what do you stand for, and will you have integrity in the office and in your personal life.

November 13, 2007 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger Molly Sue said...

Ditto Jess! We are on the same page on this. This is what I find so perplexing about this issue. When I posed it on an evangelical board, you wouldn't believe the hostility that I encountered. I even tried to point out to them the "common values, strong integrity" thing. Such a fasination for me, truly.

November 13, 2007 at 6:50 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

I think religion is a very important aspect in this presidential race. I certainly want someone conducting this country with integrity, honesty and other values that you and your friend Jessica stated. Certainly I'm not going to vote for someone who's political agenda is not aligned with thier personal and religious beliefs. To me that says that person is a hypocrite and will easily flip flop. I want someone that is confident in their decisions and doesn't go back on them.

November 14, 2007 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger Molly Sue said...

I don't think religion is an important aspect, I think the important aspect is the integrity of the individual. The religion may teach honesty and integrity, but that doesn't mean they live it. So, the religion shouldn't be an issue, the individual should. Values important, yes. But many people use the religion label to appear "good" and they aren't. Good thought though.

November 14, 2007 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

I disagree! :) I think knowing each canidate's religion or lack of religion is a must (for me at least). I want to know what they believe religiously. AND I want to know if their religion opposes or supports something I do or do not believe in. That to me shows their real character. Plus, this nation was founded on Christianity and I want a president that upholds those values. Don't get me wrong, I understand that someone can have integrity and honesty without religion. I'm not arguing that point. But what I am arguing is that someone's religious beliefs or lack thereof does impact their political views and I want full knowledge so I can make the best decision when I go to vote.

November 20, 2007 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Molly Sue said...

You can disagree. No worries. But, you might want to do a little investigating. Most of the "founding fathers", those who signed the Constitution, were not Christian. Technically, this country was not founded on Christianity.

November 20, 2007 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Depends on your definition of Christianity. However, my definition and Webster's dictionary's definition is anyone who believes in Christ. Therefore, most, if not all founding fathers were Christian. I like this friendly banter :)

November 20, 2007 at 2:32 PM  
Blogger Molly Sue said...

Oh good heavens, that's why I started this post!!

November 20, 2007 at 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home