Sunday, November 4, 2007

What We Are

I'm fascinated by human behavior. It's origins, outcomes, causes and correlations. I can spend countless hours discussing certain topics for the sheer interest in WHY we behave the way we do. Religion, politics, careers, habits, choices, beliefs. Why do we believe the way we do? Or doubt, or not. Why do we vote the way we do? What is that we hope to accomplish? Why are we religious? Why do we care if our neighbor is? Why do we care what our neighbor does? Especially if there is no impact on our being and living in this world? What leads us to do what we do? Career wise, in partner choices, or in our decision to have children?

I recently posed a question,(WHY are you Christian?) to some of the Evangelical Christian world that I hoped would shed some light on why people think the way they do. I'm pretty sure that the intent of my question was completely lost on the audience. That's the trouble with our technological age, it is difficult to convey in words what can only be expressed in tone and gesture. I'm afraid I didn't get much a response. Oh well. My hope is that, here, it will be a different result as question WHY?

Now, while all of the above questions are of great interest to me in a particular way, you may be reading this and wondering yourself, Why? What point am I trying to get to? It is simply this, I had a conversation with a little blue bird recently and they told me that a mutual loved one had made a major decision in their lives in relation to a projected pathway. The decision made by this person was, to say the least, surprising. But, what struck me, was the plea from this individual, on their "facebook" page, that they hoped they were not letting anyone down or disappointing them. Them, I assume includes myself and my little bird. And I wondered why my beautiful friend would be worried whether they disappointed any of us. Their decision impacts the rest of us in no way. If they feel led in another direction, I may wonder why, but they certainly have let me down in no way. In fact, my friend I admire your courage. And I hope only that the desires put in your heart by God will be pursued again at a later date. For that is what God does, God instills the desire. Sometimes we just need to take a minor detour. But the intent can not be ignored, God put it there to be with us in our hearts. That's why we call them life long dreams.....

This was a major decision in this individuals life, but was not destructive or self deprecating to their survival. Which brings us again to why we care what others think and believe. In the above case it was the sense of let down, and in the case of another loved one, again, it is the perceived disappointment that may be experienced by those around them. But, why would I love them any less? Disappointed? Perhaps. A reason to abandon my love and devotion to such an individual, not in the least. Their actions were, and could continue to be, destructive and self deprecating. Which is obviously why they choose to avoid many of those who love them the most in their life after making such a decision. In this particular case my interest is multi faceted as to what drove the behavior and the resulting reaction, but my singular biggest concern? That they know and understand only one thing. Christ ask but one thing of us as his fellow man, "Love one another as I have loved you."

I'm waiting. I only hope that in both cases these beautiful people in my life know how much I love and adore them. Unconditionally. Spread your courageous wings my future lawyer....for what is meant to be, will always come to fruition. I love you both. Hold your head high and know what pride I have in you and who you are!!

2 Comments:

Blogger LOVE said...

Thanks. :)

November 6, 2007 at 8:08 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Lots of thoughts....to lazy to type right now. Thanks for making me think.

November 7, 2007 at 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home