Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Words, Words, Words

Language, questions of language and application of language. My brain is buzzing. Words I like, words I don't.

Trixy said something last week that didn't register in my brain at the time because I had never put much thought into it and so had nowhere to drive the concept when he presented it.

Trixy: What if we had no words?

Me: Huh

Trixy: I mean what if that (pointing to a chair) had no word?

Me: Huh

We proceeded into a discussion about the application of the word gay. Then, this morning it hit me like a ton of bricks. Words, definitions, dictates, social prescriptions. Male, Female, Heterosexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender, Queer...We all fall into the elusive trap.

What's the first question you ask when someone has a baby? You ask "Girl or Boy". And then you apply the appropriate label based on the specified gender. (I hate labels, I hate categories.) We are repulsed if the child doesn't live up to the expected role dictates. We lift an eyebrow to our daughters, "What do you MEAN you don't want to wear a dress!" and try to still a speeding heart beat if we witness our son skip merrily with the girls to play dress up! And then comes the day, "Oh no, you can't be attracted to the same gender. You are NOT GAY/LESBIAN!"

No, you aren't. You are HUMAN. And you fall in love with another soul. You look to share a life with another human, whether they share the same genitalia or not. But somewhere in the journey we get caught up in religious and social dictates and the essence of that human is lost in words. Words, language and definitions.

Have you ever seen two people in love. People! Not boy with girl in the park. Not the cross dressing flamer with his male lover, two PEOPLE. I have, and it is absolutely the most beautiful thing to witness. I've seen it. And they are unbelievable. They don't need a gender description, they're in love. Watch the body language, the eyes that sparkle, the gestures they make. They exude immense joy and pleasure and it's intoxicating to watch. It's Orgaaaasssmic. And notice, I didn't need to give you a gender, they're in love, who cares.

I can't wait for tonight. Only, now I'm busy writing all my questions. I'm in a state of wanting to garden....Need to pick a brain or two. Hey G.Q., Trixy, do you like flowers? Ya'll planted a seed or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home