Thursday, February 7, 2008

Chariiiiissssma!

"It's a special quality of leadership that captures the popular imagination and inspires alegiance and devotion."

Mmmm, do you know anyone with this quality? I find it to be a highly desirable quality, especially if you tend to "burn bridges". I don't recommend the latter, although, on certain days, the Salt Lake Sweede would say that it is a skill, along with charisma, well worth having. Perhaps because re-engineering the brige is easier to execute with a good dose of charisma. She, of course, doesn't feel it's appropriate behavior on most occasions, but, she has inspired one to do a stellar job of destruction. The bridge didn't just burn, it imploded, it was vaporized. We've hired construction crews to invest copious amounts of time and effort in the rebuild. I don't think, Ok, I know the engineers are NOT fairing well. Forgive me for being tagential, I do digress. We were discussing 'charisma'.

My favorite prospective Presidential Candidate has an exuberant magnitude of charisma. Having been 'burned' by charismatic individuals in the past, I'm a little wary of such people. Which gives me a bit of reserve in my endorsement of this guy for president. It doesn't send up any major warning flags but, like I said, I'm a bit wary. This candidate has a couple of things working against him, one not mentioned here is his popularity amoung younger voters.

John Boy and I have coffee every morning. It's a ritual that I look forward to daily. Today the topic was, of course, the candidates for the coming election. We talked about different candidates charismatic ability and how well they can sell and idea based on their charismatic skills. One of the problems that my favorite candidate faces, as I mentioned, is their appeal to a younger crowd. The "younger crowd" in this country doesn't tend to vote enmass like the "older crowd". Which brings me the point of my blither. (For that is what this blog is about, mindless, random blither in my head.) The charismatic being that could "capture the popular imagination and inspire alegiance and devotion."

I had a sudden epiphany. I hate epiphanies. I find them to be very unpredicable and unreliable. Entire religious movements have been inspired by a single epiphany. Politicians are notorious for epiphanies. Inspirations, if you like that word more. And because I'm suspect of people and their personal epiphanies and how they might impact me, among other reasons, of which I don't have adequate space to elaborate on in this post, I don't like politicians, either. I don't encourage people I love to go into politics. It corrupts. Personal epiphany and corruption, bad combination. Wow, that was long detour to get from point A to point B. And I still haven't enlightened you on my general point.

So, I discourage loved ones from being politicians. BFD. Or, maybe I should rethink my conclusions. My epiphany is more than just momentary. It's the second time I've been hit upside the head by the epiphany fairy with this particular idea. (Glitter subsequently covers the ground under my chair) I had it, the first time, this summer at a lecture I attended. The speaker was a professor of ethics at the University of Utah. At this point I should probably relinquish my stubborn attitude and just go with it. All I could think of this morning was the perfect, charismatic youth to lead the masses of youth in this country out to vote. Good grief. I should have my head examined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home