Monday, May 19, 2008

The Smartest One Wins

I've talked about it here and here and to a degree, here. But, I still haven't figured out that "smart" thing.

Intelligence is an "issue" in my house. And, I severely lack the ability to keep up. Such as the case may be, after 15 years, I've quit trying. I will NEVER outperform John Boy on cognitive skills test. In the task of recollection, nope, he kicks my ass. Throw My brother-in-law into the mix, engaged in conversation with pseudonymous husband, they are the Mount Everest of smart. Like I said, I've stop trying to keep up. (Please, the man keeps up with the Lawyer. And we all know that a lawyer's job is the mental equivalent of jackhammering.)

I am not particularly adept in the brains department. And, it seems that as I increase in age I decrease in mental capacity. It seems that there is ever more in this world that one NEEDS to "know" and it befuddles my gray matter how to "know" it all and USE it all. Acquisition and application are two different things. And neither, unfortunately guarantees me "success" as defined by an American society and culture. Being that I lack a determined amount of knowledge and smarts, I love to learn. I choose to learn. And I think everyone in this world has something to teach us. It's why I love kids and teens, they teach me so much. My teachers are the Offspring, Blondie, Miss Dolly, that spunky little G.Q. and the ever charismatic Sparky. DDbutt, Miss Andrea and my eclectic little collection of "peers" are second to none. But, the best is that they all know, as I do, that individually we know....nothing. Collectively, we are looking to appear like we know something.

I believe that learning is a choice. Teachers cannot compel a student to learn, the student has to chose to accept the information. Given my lack of knowledge and understanding due to my limited intellectual capacity and my desire to learn, I find it irritating, nay, excruciating, to sit in a university level class and listen to the 20 something know it all pontificate and exude their wealth of knowledge, ad nausea um, to the class. What I'm saying is..."Look, Pippy Long Stocking, I don't care how stellar you are at filing away those developmental theories...24 ain't the pinnacle of aged wisdom!!!Shut up, the paid guy at the front had something to say." I've the overwhelming compunction to tell her to clap her fucking trap! And if the bouncy bitch with the big teeth counters me one more time with the patronizing tone and look, I might be so inclined to let it slip.

Learning is an exchange. A reciprocal action, between teacher and student. You can't learn unless you are engaged, to be sure. Teacher talks, you contribute, you learn.(Teacher doesn't have to be what we think of as the traditional kind either. Preferably, not.) This doesn't seem to be Pippy's intent. Pippy just wants to "correct" all of our thinking. Prove herself intellectually superior and astound us with her wealth of, whatever. I think I need more eyeballs, I've poked my clean out.

Oh to return to the day I completed my undergrad. I KNEW IT ALL. Why I can't I be that smart again?

1 Comments:

Blogger LOVE said...

I want to meet pippy. I think I'll trip her on her way out of class, she should be SMART enough to watch were she's going. :) (I'm a little vicious today.)

May 20, 2008 at 7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home